St Ciaran’s secure MacRory tie with Patrician

December 04, 2017

Danske Bank MacRory Cup Playoff
from Kevin Kelly in Armagh for Irish News
St Ciaran’s Ballygawley 0-13 St Malachy’s Castlewellan 1-5
St Ciaran’s Ballygawley secured the last spot in the post-Christmas Danske Bank MacRory Cup when they recovered from a slow start to beat St Malachy’s Castlewellan at the Pearse Ogs club in Armagh yesterday afternoon.
The Down lads opened the scoring in the 7th minute with a brilliantly executed penalty from Niall Cassidy before Aaron Devlin tagged on a point in the next attack.
Two Darragh Canavan frees got St Ciaran’s up and running and while St Malachy’s responded through Conor McCrickard it was the Tyrone lads who began to get on top.
Cormaic Donnelly and Canavan knocked over frees while Tomas Hoy and Joe Oguz were on target from play before Canavan burst past two challenges for a superb score. When wing half back Cormac Quinn bombed forward to score it was six unanswered points from St Ciaran’s and while St Malachy’s had the last say of the half through Conor McAnulty the Tyrone lads led 0-8 to 1-3.
McCrickard showed good strength to hold off a couple of tackles to reduce the deficit to the minimum on the restart but that was as close as Castlewellan were to get to their opponents.
They did have their fair share of possession but their attack struggled against a disciplined St Ciaran’s defence who had stars in the Quinns, Conor, Cormac and Cathair as well as Marc Lennon.
Despite being double teamed centre half forward Canavan managed two great scores inside a minute, one with either foot, and when defender Cormac Quinn found the range again St Ciaran’s had a bit of breathing space.
The hard working Oguz then placed Hoy for another score to leave St Ciaran’s five points to the good heading into the final quarter. Cassidy got a much needed score for St Malachy’s but with nine minutes left to play that proved to be their last.
They needed a goal and it never looked like coming with St Ciaran’s going closest when Oguz’s first time shot was saved by keeper Aodghan Fegan. It was left to Canavan to complete the scoring from a close in free in injury time as St Ciaran’s made it through to a meeting with Patrician High Carrickmacross.
St Ciaran’s scorers: D Canavan 0-6, T Hoy 0-2, C Quinn 0-2, C Donnelly 0-2, J Oguz 0-1
St Malachy’s scorers: N Cassidy 1-1, C McCrickard 0-2, A Devlin 0-1, C McAnulty 0-1