Corn na nÓg quarter-final round-up

November 19, 2015

Corn na nÓg quarter-final round-up

November 19, 2015

Danske Bank Corn na nÓg quarter-finals

St Patrick’s Academy 2-6 Omagh CBS 1-12

St Macartan’s Monaghan 2-9 St Patrick’s Cavan 1-7

St Patrick’s Maghera 5-10 St Pius X Magherafelt 3-6

Patrician Carrickmacross 3-9 St Colman’s Newry 1-9


PATRICIAN High Carrickmacross and St Macartan’s Monaghan cranked up the hype ahead of tonight’s (FRIDAY) Danske Bank Rannafast final meeting in Inniskeen, by yesterday winning their Corn na nÓg quarter-finals and lining up an all-Monaghan semi-final next week.

Patrician did their damage against St Colman’s Newry in the opening when they took control with goals from Conor Capaldi and Donnchadha Swinburne and opened up a ten points’ advantage at the break, 2-7 to 0-3.

Facing into the stiff breeze, that was not an insurmountable lead but a goal from Sean Jones eight minutes into the second half made life too difficult for the Newry side and Carrick crossed the line on a 3-9 to 1-9 score.

The blocks for St Macartan’s 2-9 to 1-7 win over St Patrick’s Cavan were also laid in the opening half with goals from Niall McKenna and Carl Gallagher securing an interval advantage of 2-7 to 0-4.

The Sem defended well in the second half and were good value for their five point win.

Meanwhile the other semi-final will see Omagh CBS play St Patrick’s Maghera.

The latter were more comfortable winners over St Pius X Magherafelt than the final scoreline of 5-10 to 3-6 indicates.

Their goals did the damage early in the game and came from Sean Kearney, Sean Turner, Cathair Higgins, Enda Downey and Oisin McCalfferty.

St Pius X pulled a couple of goals back in the second half, as last year’s Dalton Cup winners eased off a little near the end.

The last game, a Tyrone derby between Omagh CBS and St Patrick’s Academy, was the most closely fought of the four quarter-finals.

The Academy would have been slight favourites going into the game, but had to face the first half breeze. Nevertheless goals from midfielder Shane Donnelly and corner-forward Luke Donnelly had them well-placed at 0-8 to 2-0 at the break.

However Omagh defended really well for the duration of the second half and their goal from Luke Northern five minutes from time pushed the boat out on the Academy comeback, with Omagh progressing to next week’s semi-final on a 1-12 to 2-6 scoreline.