Holy Trinity reach All-Ireland final

March 28, 2018

Holy Trinity Cookstown 4-11 Pobalscoil Inbhear Scéine 2-8
From Kevin Kelly in Abbottstown, Dublin
Trailing 2-5 to 0-1 after the opening quarter it looked all over for Holy Trinity Cookstown but they produced an amazing comeback which was laced with quality football to shock Pobalscoil Inbhear Scéine at Abbottstown yesterday afternoon.
Early on it looked as though the exertions of the Danske Bank MacLarnon Cup final as well as the replay that went to extra time had taken their toll as they looked flat and out on their feet. However they began to run at the Kerry side though with Tarlach Quinn, Conor Donnelly, Mark McKearney, Oran Mulgrew and Mark Devlin all to the fore and they went in level at the break.
Pobalscoil Inbhear Scéine scored two points in the opening two minutes of the second half but that was the sum total of their efforts. Holy Trinity took complete control with a superb display of attacking football and the nine point winning margin in no way flattered them.
The Munster champions had the wind at their backs in the first half and they made it pay early on. Cian O’Connor and Donal O’Sullivan (2) kicked points before a mistake in defence allowed midfielder Daniel Casey to bury the ball in the net.
Devlin opened Cookstown’s account in the 10th minute with a wonderful effort with the outside of his boot but the Kerry side responded with an O’Connor free. Pobalscoil Inbhear Scéine then won a penalty which Dylan O’Connor converted and they were in complete control.
Then it seemed that a switch was flicked for Holy Trinity as they fought back. Tiernan Quinn and Devlin had points before good work from McKearney set up Tiernan Mackle for a palmed goal.
Defender Tarlach Quinn struck an inspirational point after a 40m run before a surging run from Donnelly saw him off-load to Quinn who fired a spectacular shot to the roof of the net to level matters.
Midfielder Pauric Lagan landed an outstanding point from distance to put Holy Trinity in front and while a free from O’Sullivan left it 2-6 each at the break it was the Tyrone lads who had the spring in their step.
The Munster champions started the second half well with points from O’Sullivan and substitute Tom Murnane but that was as good as it got for them. Devlin cut the gap with a free before Lagan took a brilliant catch and offloaded it to Mulgrew who found the net.
Moments later Sean McKenna got the winners’ fourth goal and they never looked back. Devlin added another point while at the other end of the field McKearney produced an excellent block to deny Dylan O’Connor.
Holy Trinity soaked up the pressure and they hit their opponents on the break with fast, attacking football. Devlin and Tarlach Quinn put the icing on the cake for a Holy Trinity Cookstown side who now find themselves in an All-Ireland final only five days after lifting the MacLarnon Cup for the first time in their history.
Holy Trinity Cookstown: C Loane, S McKenna (1-0), T Quinn (0-2), Patrick Quinn, O Mulgrew (1-0), C Donnelly, M McKearney, E Gallagher (0-1), P Lagan (0-1), K Robinson, E Devlin, S Murphy, T Quinn (1-1, 1f), Tiernan Mackle (1-0), M Devlin (0-6, 2f).
Subs: Thomas Mackle for Devlin, Paul Quinn for Robinson, C Quinn for Tiernan Mackle, A Moore for Lagan
Pobalscoil Inbhear Scéine: M Looney, J Foley, J McCarthy, J Harrington, C O’Sullivan, D McCarthy, C O’Sullivan, G Wharton, D Casey (1-0), D O’Connor (1-1), T Ó Siochrú, C Crowley, C O’Connor (0-2, 2f), D O’Sullivan (0-4, 3f), T Cronin.
Subs: L Twomey for C O’Sullivan, T Murnane (0-1) for Cronin, B Nikic for C O’Connor
Referee: S Mulhare, Laois