Enniskillen finish strongly to claim MacRory final spot

February 23, 2019

Danske Bank MacRory Cup semi-final

St Michael’s Enniskillen 0-13 St Patrick’s Maghera 2-6

From Kevin Kelly in Loughmacrory

St Michael’s Enniskillen qualified for their first Danske Bank MacRory Cup final since 2012 when they edged out prematch favourites St Patrick’s Maghera in a cracking encounter at Loughmacrory on Saturday afternoon.
It was a contest between two well drilled sides and was laced with quality scores and good defending with the Erne lads just about deserving their victory in the end.

With the wind at their backs the winners were out of the traps quickly as Conor Love and Caolan Duffy both registered fine scores inside five minutes. Maghera then almost got in for a goal but for a great block from Pol McKervey to deny opposite number Conleth McGuckian.

In the 8th minute though Maghera did find the net and it was all down to quick thinking by full forward Alex Doherty as he caught the Enniskillen defence napping when drilling a 20 metre free home after he had been fouled himself.
Centre half forward Michael Glynn levelled matters but it was Maghera who were looking the more purposal side. McGuckian, Conleth McShane and Doherty all tagged on points and they were denied a 22nd minute goal when Enniskillen keeper Sean McNally saved well from Eunan Mullholland.

Maghera midfielder Pat Shivers converted the resulting “45” and St Michael’s looked to be in deep trouble. They rallied though with Glynn knocking over a brace of frees followed by a point from play from Love. They had keeper McNally to thank though for another excellent save to thwart Mullholland once more as Maghera turned around with a slim 1-4 to 0-6 advantage.

A free from the accurate Glynn levelled matters on the restart but Maghera quickly established their lead again when Doherty took a quality point from play.

In the 39th minute Maghera got their second goal when Mullholland finally got the better of McNally, first timing the ball to the net. Four points now separated the two sides and with the wind at their backs Maghera looked to be in a strong position but they were to score just once more.

Enniskillen played some outstanding running football as they took the game to their opponents. Frees from Glynn and Darragh McBrien closed the gap before substitute Garvan Quigley made an immediate impact with the equaliser going into the final quarter.

As the tension grew it was St Michaels who held their nerve with scores from McGlynn and McBrien and while McGuckian had the final say for Maghera it was Enniskillen who secured their final ticket.

St Michael’s Enniskillen: S McNally, L Flanagan, G Cavanagh, J Horan, A O’Caithain, J Ellis, R McHugh, B Horan, J McDade, C Duffy (0-1), M Glynn (0-6, 0-5 frees), D McBrien (0-3, 0-2 frees), P McKervey, C Love (0-2), T Keenan.
Subs: G Quigley (0-1) for Keenan, C McAloon for McKervey, G Treacy for McHugh, E Curran for Love

St Patrick’s Maghera: C Convery, R McFaul, C Milne, P McLaughlin, E Mullholland (1-0), C McShane (0-1), O Downey, T McHugh, P Shivers (0-1, “45”), E Doherty, F Bradley, D McLaughlin, C McGuckian (0-2), A Doherty (1-2, 0-1free), E Downey.
Subs: PJ McAleese for D McLaughlin, C Glass for Shivers, E Hawe for E Downey

Referee: M McNally, Monaghan