Scoileanna Uladh Cumann Lúthchleas Gael – Constitution and Byelaws
The name of the Council shall be Scoileanna Uladh , Cumann Lúthchleas Gael.
The aim of the Council shall be to further the aims of Cumann Lúthchleas Gael in Ulster Schools through the development, administration and promotion of Gaelic games and pastimes.
- Subject to the jurisdiction of the General Rules of Cumann Lúthchleas Gael and the overall control of Ardchomhairle, Comhairle Iarbhunscoileanna and Comhairle Uladh, Scoileanna Uladh shall have responsibility for the organisation and control of all Post-Primary Gaelic games in Ulster.
- Committees, Schools and Members of Scoileanna Uladh shall be subject to the Bye-Laws and Regulations of Comhairle Iarbhunscoileanna and Comhairle Uladh.
- Committees, Schools and Members of Scoileanna Uladh shall be bound to resolve any and all disputes that arise within the framework of existing procedures, the appeals system and the Disputes Resolution provisions as set out in the Rules of Cumann Lúthchleas Gael.
A) The Committee of Scoileanna Uladh shall consist of not more than 22 members:
- (i) Cathaoirleach and Rúnaí, who shall be appointed by Comhairle Uladh in accordance with the Byelaws of Comhairle Uladh.
- (ii) Six Officerships elected at the Annual General Meeting of Scoileanna Uladh – Leas-Chathaoirleach, Cisteoir/ Comhchisteoirí, Rúnaí Cúnta, Oifigeach Caidrimh Phoiblí, Oifigeach Theicneolaíochta Faisnéise and Teachta don Comhairle Uladh/Coiste Oiliúna.
- (iii) Not more than thirteen Competition Coordinators.
- (iv) An Honorary President.
C) Meetings shall be attended by the duly appointed Scoileanna Uladh Administrator/Servicing Officer, who shall not have voting rights.
Subject to the overall jurisdiction of Comhairle Iarbhunscoileana, the powers and functions of Coiste Scoileanna Uladh, within the province of Ulster, shall be:
b) To adjudicate on applications for affiliation from schools in Ulster.
c) To adjudicate on any issues of eligibility for Scoileanna Uladh competitions.
d) To act as Coiste Stiúrtha na gComórtas (Competitions Control Committee), and as such to carry out the following powers and functions.
i) To be responsible for the organisation, administration and control of the Ulster Schools Championships, Leagues (and other competitions) in Hurling and Football, including the selection of venues and appointment of referees.
ii) To draw up Regulations governing the organisation of competitions under its control – including composition, timing, and promotion and relegation – prior to the start of Scoileanna Uladh competitions.
(iii) To be responsible for the investigation and processing of matters relating to the Enforcement of Rules, in the case of Competitions or Games under the jurisdiction of Scoileanna Uladh, including matters arising from Referees’ Reports and objections.
f) To appoint sub-committees as required, and to define the terms of reference of such committees.
g) It shall submit an annual report to Ulster GAA Convention.
h) To convene a Special General Meeting of Scoileanna Uladh at any time provided ten days’ clear notice in writing is given to the schools and members of Scoileanna Uladh.
i) Between meetings, the Cathaoirleach and one other Officer shall have plenary powers to deal with urgent matters.
An Annual General Meeting of Scoileanna Uladh shall be held before 31 May of each calendar year.
a) The Annual General Meeting shall consist of:
- The Officers and Members of the outgoing Coiste Scoileanna Uladh.
- Maximum of two delegates from each school in Ulster which participated in a Scoileanna Uladh Championship of the previous/outgoing school year. Each school shall have one vote.
- Should any member of an Coiste Scoileanna Uladh resign, or his position otherwise lapse, the remaining members of An Coiste Scoileanna Uladh shall, at their discretion, have the power to fill the vacancy, by co-opting a replacement from the body of the Full Membership.
The functions of the Annual Convention shall be:
a) To hear the address of An Cathaoirleach and consider the Report of An Rúnaí
b) To consider the Report of An Cisteoir and Audited Accounts.
c) To elect by secret ballot (if required) the following six officerships who shall hold office until the conclusion of the next Annual General Meeting – Leas-Chathaoirleach, Cisteoir/ Comhchisteoirí, Rúnaí Cúnta, Oifigeach Caidrimh Phoiblí, Oifigeach Theicneolaíochta Faisnéise and Teachta don Comhairle Uladh/Coiste Oiliúna.
d) To elect an Honorary President.
e) To consider Motions and to enact, amend or rescind Bye-laws.
- The maximum period of office for any specific officership or other position on An Coiste Scoileanna Uladh shall be five consecutive years.
- A member of An Coiste Scoileanna Uladh shall not hold more than one of the positions listed at Bye-Law (8) (c) simultaneously.
- Decisions of the Annual General Meeting of Scoileanna Uladh shall be binding on all Committees, Schools and Members of Scoileanna Uladh.
An Rúnaí of Scoileanna Uladh shall send the following to the Secretary/Designated Teacher of each member school and to the members of the outgoing Coiste Scoileanna Uladh at least one week before the Annual General Meeting:
A candidate for any of the positions outlined at Bye-Law (8) (c) above, shall be nominated by a member school.
a) Motions for the Annual General Meeting of Scoileanna Uladh shall be submitted as follows:
- i) Motions from member schools.
- (ii) An Coiste Scoileanna Uladh shall be entitled to submit motions on.
1) Any relevant rule-changes arising out of Motion(s) passed at Annual Congress or the Annual General Meeting of Comhairle Iarbhunscoileanna.
2) Any relevant matter relating to rule arising from a decision of the Disputes Resolutions Authority Tribunal, Ulster/Central Appeals Committee or Ulster/ Central Hearings Committee in the outgoing school year.
3) A maximum of three Motions other than those in the categories listed above.
c) The Motion Paper shall be signed by An Rúnaí/Designated Teacher of the member school.
d) Motions to enact new or amend existing Bye-laws shall give the full text of the proposed addition or amendment and also quote the number(s) of the Bye-law(s) affected thereby.
e) Motions to remove or amend an existing bye-law shall be carried by two thirds of those present, entitled to vote and voting.
Decisions at meetings shall be taken by a simple majority of those present, entitled to vote and voting and in the event of a tie, An Cathaoirleach shall have a second or casting vote.
Subject to Rial 4.3 T.O. 2015 decisions taken at a duly convened meeting shall not be rescinded at a subsequent meeting, unless due notice in writing of intention to propose rescindment has been previously conveyed to each member, and the consent of two thirds of those present entitled to vote and voting is obtained.
a) The quorum for Scoileanna Uladh Annual General Meetings and Special General Meetings shall be one quarter of the members entitled to attend.
b) The quorum for meetings of An Coiste Scoileanna Uladh shall be one quarter of the members entitled to attend, subject to a minimum of three, one of whom shall be an officer.
An Objection or Counter-Objection shall be lodged in accordance with the Rules of An Treoraí Oifigiúil.
a) The Ulster Hearings Committee shall adjudicate on all Disciplinary matters where a Hearing is prescribed and requested relating to the Enforcement of Rules (excluding Objections and Counter-Objections) arising from Games under the jurisdiction of Scoileanna Uladh.
c) All applications for hearings shall be subject to the relevant rules of An Treoraí Oifigiúil 2015.
a) Appeals against decisions of An Coiste Scoileanna Uladh shall be made to the Ulster Hearings Committee in accordance with the Rules of An Treoraí Oifigiúil 2015.
b) There shall be no Appeal against a decision of An Coiste Scoileanna Uladh with regard to:
i) Arrangements for the date and venue of a Game (provided that required notice is given).
ii) Appointments of Referees.
- 23. All schools must co-operate to ensure that:
- All their games are played by the relevant fixtures deadlines; this will include any approved postponements (as per Rule 22 above)
- Results are forwarded to the Competition and Group Coordinator within 24 hours.
- Referees complete and return match reports to the Rúnaí, cf Treorai Oifigiuil (2015) Rial 6.42 re: Award of Game : “The award of a Game rests with the Committee or Council-in- Charge, acting on the Referee’s report”.
a) Coordinate and facilitate the progress of the competition
b) Receive results within 24 hours of each game
c) Produce binding league tables based on the results duly submitted.
a) Placings in Group league sections when teams finish level will be determined as follows:
- Where 2 teams are tied on points, the rank order will be determined by the result of the game between the 2 tied teams; if that particular game had ended in a draw, then their ‘score difference’ over the group games will determine the placings.
- Where more than 2 teams finish level on points, the rank order will be determined by the ‘score difference’ in the matches involving the tied teams; where necessary, ‘scores for’ in the relevant matches will be the next criterion to be used, followed by ‘scores against’.
c) Extra-time must be played when necessary in all play-off games.
33. All players in hurling games must wear an approved helmet which has a frontal guard.
42. Insurance: Each school is advised to investigate thoroughly the issue of personal insurance for each student, and is advised to avail of the special rate (€300 per school) which is available under CLCG’s Player Injury Scheme.