Holders into another MacCormack final

January 15, 2020

Danske Bank MacCormack Cup
Omagh CBS 4-9 St Patrick’s Maghera 2-9
From Kevin Kelly in MUSA

Ulster Colleges All-star Daniel Fullerton proved to be the difference between the two sides at windswept MUSA yesterday afternoon as holders Omagh CBS qualified for the Danske Bank MacCormack Cup final at the expense of St Patrick’s Maghera.
The Carrickmore clubman finished with a hugely impressive 3-4 to his name with all of the goals coming in the second half after the sides had gone in at the break on level terms. With the wind at their backs the Tyrone school led by seven points at one stage in the second half but Maghera hit back to level matters going into the final quarter.
A wonderful side-line ball from Fullerton then gave the winners a lead that they were never to lose as they hit 1-3 without reply to take their place in the decider where they will face the winners of Friday’s semi final between St Patrick’s Dungannon and St Colman’s Newry.
Both sides took time to settle and it was 0-2 apiece at the end of the opening quarter with Ethan Doherty, Fionnbar Taggart, Cahair Higgins and Fullerton the players on target.
Maghera keeper Zach Scullion then made a good save to deny McGillion a goal and moments later Omagh midfielder Eoghan McShane was unlucky to see his shot hit the base of the post. Maghera soaked up the pressure and they moved two in front thanks to Sean Kearney and Doherty.
In the 30th minute Omagh struck for a fine individual goal from McGillion after a strong run but Maghera had the final say of the half from a Kearney free to leave it 0-6 to 1-3 at the short whistle.
The second half was less than 30 seconds old when Fullerton cut in from the left wing before firing low to the net past keeper Zach Scullion. McGillion, Peter McGlinn and Sean O’Donnell all tagged on points as Omagh seized control.
Maghera tried to stay in touch with points from Charlie Diamond and Kearney but when a long ball from McGillion was fielded by Fullerton he took the mark and crashed the ball to the net to leave it 3-6 to 0-8.
It looked all over at this stage but to their credit the Derry lads responded straight away with a goal of their own when Higgins fired home after going past three challenges.
It was a score that gave his side a major boost and two minutes later he found the net again when he was in the right place at the right time to first time in after Omagh keeper Oran Grimes had saved well from Shea Murray.
The sides were now level going into the final quarter but Maghera failed to score again. Fullerton landed that sublime side-line ball and after O’Donnell pointed Fullerton was on target again. With time almost up Fullerton completed his hat trick after a “45” from Grimes had dropped short.
Omagh CBS: O Grimes, M Devlin, E Corry, R Burns, B Conway, R Donnelly, S O’Donnell (0-2), E Montgomery, E McShane, F Taggart (0-1), R Maguire, C McGillion (1-1), C Daly, P McGlinn (0-1), D Fullerton (3-4, 1F).
Subs: F Grimes for Taggart, D Heagney for Conway, M Hayes for McShane, E McConnell for McGlinn, J McGurk for Maguire
St Patrick’s Maghera: Z Scullion, P McLaughlin, A McLaughlin, O McClafferty, S O’Neill, C Mullan, PJ McAleese, S McKearney, T Higgins, S Murray, E Doherty (0-2), C Diamond (0-1, 1F), S Kearney (0-4, 3F), M Dixon, C Higgins (2-2).
Subs: M Downey for Diamond, J McGurk for McAleese, S Cassidy for Dixon, L Downey for T Higgins, J McWilliams for Murray, C Chambers for C Higgins
Referee: P Faloon, Down